Blogging can be a great way to earn a nice side income from sharing your passions online. And it isn’t as difficult as one may think. If you have the willingness to learn and the follow-through to make it happen, you can have your blog up and running in no time. Follow these steps to start a blog and make money online.
How To Start A Blog And Make Money
Pinpoint Your Passions & Profit Potential
1. The most profitable, established blogs were built around a passion. It is absolutely essential that you choose a topic you find engaging as an individual. Choosing a field based on what others are doing or what you think will bring in the big bucks will get you nowhere fast. You will lose interest before your first paycheck. Identify your passions. What is it that you love to live, learn and share with others on a daily basis?
2. Your next step is to determine whether there is profit potential in the area that has you interested. The quickest way to do this is to ask, “what do I have to buy to make these dreams a reality?” Are there specific supplies necessary? Does your hobby require some kind of investment? If you are able to feed your obsession with free information alone, you may find your income potential is limited. There may not be many paying advertisers or affiliate programs available. That does not mean that you can’t make money, it may just mean you will be relying on avenues like AdSense.
3. Blog Setup
Once you have settled on your topic and you are confident that there is money to made, you need to start creating your online space. You will need three things to get your blog online:
- A compelling domain name (This post will help you choose an awesomely memorable URL.)
- Quality Hosting (I recommend HostGator for newbie web hosting and it is very beginner-friendly. And inexpensive.)
- WordPress Installation (This step-by-step guide will help you get your new blog up, running and configured correctly.)
4. Content Creation
Now your new blog is ready for content. You should have a bucketful of blog post ideas in the beginning. After all, you did think you could start an entire website about this topic. 😉 On those days you need a little inspiration, check out this list of writing prompts on Stringcan.
5. Get Traffic
Once you have a post or two published, it is time to start gathering your following. As a beginning blogger, you may not care too much about things like Search Engine Optimization. You just want to blog! I’m cool with that. Before you start smothering your passion with technical things (which you can learn later), let your excitement be your best promoter. As this is a blog created around your interests, you know where everyone is hanging out. You are probably a member of the forums. You know the best social networks for this industry. Get out there and grow your community.
When setting up your WordPress blog, you likely installed a plugin or two that allow readers to follow your site through social networks, RSS feed and email newsletter. Make sure those are configured correctly and always ask new viewers to follow you.
6. Create an Income
Most advertisers and affiliate programs will want to see that your site is established and has traffic before they are to partner with you. This can take several months and several thousand pageviews. That is one of the main reasons to blog about your passions. You do not want to burn out before any money is made available. After about three months of consistent blogging you can feel confident seeking out partnerships. A few of my favorites:
7. Continue Learning
Once the content is flowing and your community is growing, do not stop learning. There are always skills that can help you take things to the next level. Every blog can benefit from search engine optimization and the occasional coding tweak. Don’t let yourself fall behind with this new technology. Follow a few “blogging blogs” in addition to those experts in your niche. A few of my favorite programs?